Monday, August 11, 2008

The Garden...

Ok before I start I have to say... MARC IS THE REASON FOR THE SUCCESSFUL GARDEN THIS YEAR! Back in early spring Marc and I decided to TRY and grow a garden in the AZ climate. We did have a small garden back in NY which was pretty successful so we were confident but still unsure of how successful we would be in the desert climate! Marc dug the boxes and I spread the soil/manure mixture and planted! At the start of spring we had snap peas, green beans, squash, tomatoes, green peppers, spinach, lettuce, pickling cucumbers, jalepenos, and a variety of herbs. Sadly some plants didn't fair too well once the heat got strong but others grew like weeds. But the end of spring and start of summer, Marc made over 4 huge jars of pickled green beans and pickles (very yummy), picked 6 helpings of green beams, 2 helpings of snap peas, 4 heads of lettuce, 2 helpings of spinach, and oodles and oodles of squash. When I say oodles I mean 86 total! They were HUGE and very tasty! Since the dry desert heat of summer began, Marc decided to rip certain plants out and start new ones. He planted corn, pumpkin, watermelon, cantelope, potatoes (in the tires), and another batch of squash. He also started some plants indoors for when it starts to cool off! By this time the tomatoes were beginning to turn red, watermelons and cantelopes were growing bigger than softballs, and pumpkins were starting to flower. The corn sadly grew and quickly burned! (Thats how hot it is here) I totally forgot to take pictures of the spring garden but managed to take a few photos of the summer foods! As you can see the tomato plants are growing but some parts are burning. The sun is just so fierce out here! I am anxious to see what the fall weather will bring us as far as garden foods! Not to mention we will be feeding are garden the best COMPOST EVER!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Mmmm... those melons look yummy!

I like the tire idea for garden boxes... must use that next year!

Anonymous said...

Your garden is too cute. I cannot wait until we move. I want to find a place with enough room for a garden :)