Friday, September 12, 2008

Update on "Shool"

So I figured since we are about a month and a half into the school year ALREADY I would update you all on how Liliana and Dillon are doing. Liliana so far likes school, however she definately misses her teacher from last year! (I miss her teacher from last year as well but shhhh) Her teacher this year has an overall good class of students, but from what I saw after helping out in class this past week, she needs to learn to take more control over the class! Thats all I am gonna say at this point in time! I am giving her time and the benefit of the doubt for now (even though we are already a month into the school year)!! As for Liliana, she is steadily improving on her reading level and bringing home bigger and longer books each week. I am so thrilled that she loves reading so much because I NEVER was much of a reader. She is overall a good student, excels in anything given to her. Loves challenges as long as she doesn't have to ask me for help!! She HATES the thought that mom and dad might know more than her! Geez I wonder where she got that from (ME)!!

Now Dillon on the other hand cracks me up every single morning/night. He goes to preschool 4 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. He gets so confused what day is school and what day is not! He has had issues learning and understanding that today is today and tomorrow is the day after today! So EVERY SINGLE DAY he asks "Mommy do I have SHOOL today or tomorrow"? Now depending on the day, I answer yes or no. Well if the answer is yes he asks the question AGAIN as if the yes I gave him was NOT an answer to his question. He usually gets frustrated and waits to see if he gets to watch a movie or just listen to music at bedtime, which tells him whether he has school or not the following day! As far as him liking school... he seems happy but is NOT very into telling me about his day. Every so often he might say a little something but never does he full blown tell me about that days activities. It really doesn't surprise me though since Liliana is the EXACT same way. The teacher says he is doing great but it is just preschool. He is also not just in a plain ol preschool program its a peer pals program. What that means is over half the class is made up of kids that have "special needs"! Special needs defines a HUGE group of children with learning hurdles. I had reservations with putting Dillon in this sort of environment not because I have anything against child with special needs but because I wanted to make sure there was going to be room for him to grow and not be held back. After much research I found that all the learning activities they do with the children are in leveled groups meaning Dillon is learning at his level while "Joe" is learning at another level but the same exact thing as Dillon! I really can't say anything bad about his class, teacher, or program which is an awesome feeling. Because as most of you know I have had my share of reservations about this school overall! I am predicting that this will be a pretty good school year. Lets hope Liliana and Dillon continue to like school as the year goes on.

1 comment:

erika said...

Sounds like a good start. Hope things are going better with the teacher. That's great to be in the classroom. I'm sure you get a better picture of the issues.