Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gingerbread Trains...


With 3 kids in school this year, I was a bit fearful as the holiday season approached.  I feared that all 3 teachers would want a train!  Thankfully Dillon's teacher was a "bah hum bug" and didn't do any celebrating for the holidays which meant no gingerbread train!  It was ok, he has had one every year since preschool!  That left only 2!  Ava's teacher celebrated the holiday early so it gave me 5 days in between the two classes needing the trains.  I usually spend an entire day making the dough, rolling, cutting, and baking!  Then I freeze everything in specific trays so none of the pieces get mixed up until the day before the train is due to school.  It takes me about 2-3 hours to assemble and decorate each train but the smiles make it all worth it!  Each year the teacher never knows what to expect other than something edible for the kids to enjoy.  Its such a fun surprise to bring into class! 
I must admit when I made my first gingerbread train back when Liliana was in 1st grade, I never imagined we'd be expecting out 6th child and how many future trains I will be expected to make!  YIKES!  I mean... Oh the fun I will have!

No comments: