Monday, March 2, 2009

Easter Dresses...

I have been sewing since 2003, when my wonderful inlaws bought me my very first machine. I never learned how to properly use my machine and never made it to sewing lessons. So from 2003-2007 I basically just straight stitched pillowcases, small blankets, and curtains! In late 2007 I decided it was time to expand my sewing talents and try new projects. Liliana needed a few things (dress up type stuff) for school and I wanted to try making doll clothes figuring it would lead me into the world of grown up clothing! I was successful in all projects sometimes on the first try and other times on the second and even third try! In early 2008 I decided to dive into the world of cloth diapering after doing much research. A friend of mine also gave me a lot of information but sewed me covers to help with the upfront cost of cloth diapering. After cloth diapering Ava for a couple months, I found out we were expecting Garrison. I decided to try making some diapers for myself (my friend made the bulk of them for me though! She is a much better seamstress than I am). I had a few that came out usable but then there were those others that I did not take pictures of and was not proud of! Cloth diapers were the first items that I followed a pattern for. After making cloth diapers, Dillon got a little jealous and wanted cloth pull ups, so back to the sewing machine I went! Successful with making cloth pull ups! Liliana then was jealous, she decided she wanted me to make her some pretty dresses! She is so dang skinny and tall that its very hard finding dresses that fit her up top but then are long enough on the bottom! Last month I crashed, JoAnns had a sale on their patterns (normally $6-$12 per pattern) they were on sale for $.99 cents! I grabbed as many as I could find along with great deals on pretty fabrics! I have been so busy trying to get into a solid routine that up until last week I hadn't even opened any of the patterns! At this point I promised Liliana that I would make her dress. Of course that started Ava asking for a dress. That got me thinking... how neat would it be to make coordinating dresses for both girls for Easter! I made Ava's dress this past Friday. I did it over a couples days time. Today I managed to make Liliana's dress. If I added up the time I cut, pinned, and sewed today it was no longer than 2 hours! I am very happy that still to this day I have NEVER taken a single sewing lesson yet have been successful on not just one but two dresses AND two hats! I can not wait for the girls to wear these dresses! Liliana is so happy with the final result of her dress that she has now requested a dress for this Saturday (yeahup 5 days away) so she can look pretty during her first confession! I didn't make any promises but would love to make her one!




Anyway here are pictures of both dresses and hats!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did such a nice job on these Jillian! Inspiring me to try something new. Hope your projects keep on clicking. :)