A couple local friends were involved with a group named the Yavapai County Angels. Wanting to give back to the community, I joined the group. They posted about their Christmas group and that you could adopt a local Veteran. Normally, we adopt a family or at least join in with a group to adopt a family. I wasn't even sure where to find a family in need up here so this opportunity with the Yavapai Angels was perfect! We adopted a veteran who wanted very basic items (socks, underwear, sweatpants, sweatshirts, and a CD player with country music cds). The kids really got into shopping for him somewhat understanding how deserving this veteran was of any items we bought for him given his sacrafices for our freedoms. I saw a post asking for help with wrapping all the donated items. Not knowing how many veterans and families this group was able to help this season, I signed up. I offered help picking up toys for tots items from the drop off location and then meeting up with the group at a local church where we would organize and wrap everything. When I showed up to the drop off location I was in shock, it was overwhelming to see the quantity of items that were donated by the community. Then I entered the church where even more donations were gathered... oh my gosh! It was so amazing. I was incredibly humbled that day as the lists of wants and needs were read out loud while volunteers paired items to be wrapped. Homeless veterans were included on this list. HOMELESS! I felt happiness while knowing I was helping such a great group of volunteers but anger as I realized these people should NOT be in need! They fought for our freedoms! Why are they homeless. Why is our system so broken that those deserving of far more than they have... live with nothing. Asking for heaters and extra layers of clothing to stay warm?! I'm so thankful for the kind hearts of so many willing to help. I'm so very happy the local paper was able to highlight in a news article what this fabulous group is doing in our community. Hopefully, more helping hands will show up to the next charity event. I didn't sign up to get recognized, told I did a good job, or have anyone even know this is what I did with my spare time days before Christmas but the newspaper ran the article with MY picture in it. Neighbors and friends called and texted asking about this group. I'm hoping to recruit some of them the next time this group needs help! So for this article and my picture in the paper...comes more good!






No comments:
Post a Comment