Sunday, January 1, 2012

Garrison's Party With The Family...

For those of you that have been reading this blog since I started it, you'll notice we have some "traditions" when it comes to birthdays... the kids ALWAYS have a small celebration on their actual birthday which usually includes Grandma and Papa Simpson coming over.  Birthday freebies are "cashed in" and balloons representing how old the child has turned are given in addition to presents.  The birthday child picks the meals for the day which everyone in the family eats!The weekend before or after the birthday is when we invite the rest of the family over for the actual "party"!  We do NOT do kid parties for many reasons which I won't even bother going into. 




With all that said, today was Garrison's special day with the family!  He requested a Lightning McQueen cake and was very excited to see it.  He talked about his cake for weeks!  I decided to make him a cake which had all of the characters from the movie surrounding the two tiers and made a Cars sign for the very top.  Nothing too fancy but it certainly took longer than I had planned!  I used sugar sheets for the characters and they gave me a heck of a time when using in my cricut machine!  It was worth every minute to make because when Garrison woke up this morning to see his cake... let's just say his smile melted my heart!
When we have the family over I usually pick a meal that is somewhat easy to prepare so that we can all just enjoy visiting with each other.  Today's meal of choice was lasagna.  I was able to prepare everything ahead of time which is always nice. 
Garrison had quite the fun day spending time with all the family!  We are so very thankful to have such wonderful people so close by to celebrate these special occasions with us! 

No comments: