Today we were at the doctor's office having Garrison's ears checked. He has had 3 ear infections in the last 2 1/2 months, so anytime I fear an ear infection is around I have his ears checked! Anyway, while there the doctor informed me the flu shot was available for both kids (Ava and Garrison were the only ones with meat the time). So I agreed and had Garrison's first of two doses given and Ava's one and only flu shot given! Later in the afternoon Ava removed her bandaid and said "Mommy that wasn't so bad, that shot didn't hurt that bad". I then went on and asked her if she was going to get more shots again and not cry. She responded with a very sharp yes! A few hours later it was time to pick up Dillon and Liliana from school. Since our dr's office is right around the corner I decided to stop by and have the older two get their shots as well! Ava had fallen asleep in the car. It was a good thing she did, because I didn't want the older two to know that they were on their way to get shots! My kids always freak out when they hear the word, nevermind if they have to get one! As I pulled into the parking lot, Ava woke up. Once she realized where we were she said "Mommy I need to see Dr Davis so he can give me more shots." Well the older two were listening and quickly put two and two together that they were, in fact, going to be receiving shots! I had to practically pull both kids out of the back seat and push them to the door, all while holding Garrison and his 30 lb car seat! Once in the waiting room both Liliana and Dillon were squished in the corner crying and moaning "I don't need a shot, mommy don't make us, its gonna hurt" I do feel bad that for a short 2 seconds they are in a little bit of pain but its better than if they were to come down with the illness they are being vaccinated for and in pain for days or weeks with no end in sight!
While we piled into the room awaiting for the nurse to administer the shots, Ava walked ever so calmly up to Dr Davis, looked up at him, and asked very politely "Dr Davis I need another shot can I please have one?" He is not a very emotional man and didn't find her question the least bit entertaining. He looked down at her, asked if she has 1 shot already. After Ava answered a faint yes, he said "No you can't have anymore sweetheart only 1 shot per day, you will have to come back tomorrow!" Ava just stared at him as he turned back to his computer and continued working! Once his response sunk in, the flood gates were open! She began to cry, big alligator tears streamed down her face. The nurses and secretaries immediately ran to her rescue. None of them knew why she was crying! The one nurse bent down and asked Ava what was wrong. She was still crying so she would say a word then sob...word, sob, word sob! I believe it was "Dr. sob Davis sob wont sob give sob me sob more sob shots!" The nurse gave her a big ol bear hug, scratch and sniff sticker, and told her it would be ok. Ava dried up her tears and said "Ok but can I have a "wollipop"! Such a stinker she is!! She got her "wollipop" our of that nurse EASILY!
While Ava was pre-occupied with her drama...Liliana and Dillon received and survived their shots. After all those tears everyone was happy and smiling as we exited the drs office! 4 shots down 1 more to go (for Garrison's second dose)!
No comments:
Post a Comment