Thursday, March 25, 2010

Welcome To The Neighborhood...

Well, we did it, we are all moved into our new, beautiful, perfect home! Now that we are settling in a new guest decided to come out and "play". Meet "scorpy" our not so friendly scorpion which I found creeping along the master bathroom floor this evening. Luckily the kids were down the hall in their rooms when I discovered our new poisonous friend. Since Marc was still away on his trip, I had to take a deep breath and catch the creepy crawly critter before it snuck away to taunt us another day. I grabbed a 52 oz plastic cup that was sitting on Marc's nightstand, held the cup in front of scorpy, took the plastic lid and flung him into the cup. He kept trying to escape but the plastic would NOT let him. I called the children over to view our new guest, then to have a pep talk about how dangerous these fellas are. I called a friend, which happens to be a local Arizonan, for some helpful information. She not only gave me helpful info, but told me to march over to the neighbors and ask if there is a scorpion problem in the neighborhood. I decided to take her advice . The neighbor greeted me, I said hello back, then went right into the question "Do you by any chance have scorpion problems in this neighborhood?" Her silence was a tell all... she soon replied "YES". I went on to tell her about scorpy, she went on to tell me that its way too early to be having scorpion issues. She explained that during the summer months its REALLY BAD. The things she told me made me shiver and itch. I don't think I will be sleeping very well tonight. As beautiful as this house is, if the problem is as bad as she said it is, I don't for see many years to come in this home. To make matters worse the scorpion found in our bathroom this evening is the "deadly" bark scorpion. Bark scorpions are the WORST of all scorpions residing in AZ. Their sting is so powerful and painful. Its deadly to children under the age of 5 yrs old. This is just beyond scary. We always knew certain parts of Arizona were prone to scorpions but never even gave this specific neighborhood a thought. Many friends are reassuring me that although we may find many new "guests" in our home over the coming months the chances of getting stung are not as high as one would think as long as we are watching for them and using our black lights faithfully.


Thank goodness for black lights!

No comments: